Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Treasure In Heaven

We throw parties and invite friends and relatives. Then they will throw parties and invite us. In this way, we repay another and enjoy. But most of us don’t like to throw at least one party to the poor, because there is no room in our heart for them. We are looking down on them because of their status and driving them away in case they get close to our party surroundings.

It is not good in the sight of God. If we really want to be in heaven and have treasure there, it is mandatory to do favors to the poor.  

Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”- Lk. 14:12 -14. 
They can’t repay us because they are poor, however, God will pay us on their behalf. He gives us more than we expect in heaven.

He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done- Pr. 19:17.

A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor- Pr. 22:9.

Every day, before we eat we pray like this:

Father, we thank you for your
generosity in providing us with
this meal. Bless this food to our
use and us to thy service, and keep
us ever mindful of the needs of
others. Amen.

But we are not mindful of the needs of other, yet we pray like this. God doesn’t like hypocrites. We must reform our ways and be merciful toward the poor. 

“Then the King will say to those on his right, `Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’  “Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?  When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ - Mt. 25:34-40.

See the prophecy. Therefore, we shouldn’t fail to give food to the hungry. And shouldn’t fail to give clothes to the naked. Shouldn’t fail to do the good things told in the scripture.

And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward - Mt. 10:42.